Search This Blog

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Players the Bears should avoid

My Steeler's fan counterpart wrote and article on players that Pittsburgh should avoid, and as I look around the internet, I find myself with similar disdain for some of the players being mocked to the Bears.  So, here we go with my list and my reasons why I don't want these guys in Chicago.

Mike Adams, OT, Ohio St.  Steelers article touched on him, so I'll just add a little more.  If I were to draw a prototype for an NFL LT, he would probably look a lot like Mike Adams.  But looks can be deceiving.  Adams frankly did not play like a prototype LT at any point at The Ohio $tate University.  He still needs work with footwork, hand placement and strength.  Throw in character issues as part of the "Tat 5" and he's not worth the 19th overall selection.

Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford.  Martin is very athletic, but he's also very soft. Nick Perry had one of the best, non-stat stuffing games I saw this year against him. Perry owned him but didn't get any sacks because Luck's scheme is made to get the ball out of his hands quickly or move the pocket so he doesn't get touched. I see a lot of Chris Williams in Martin. He's more athletic than Williams, but also not as strong. Good feet, but not heavy enough with his hands. Not a very strong run blocker at the POA.  I think Martin needs to be in a zone blocking scheme and needs to not have an elite bull rusher across from him. I think Martin could do fine vs. the good speed rushers in the league, but guys like Jared Allen would eat him for lunch. Even guys like Matthews and Ware who are sneaky strong will beat him pretty consistently. Granted, not many OTs can block these guys, but I don't want to spend the 19th pick on any of them either.

Chandler Jones, DE, Syracuse.  See Mike Adams..."if I were to draw a prototype DE, blah blah blah."  He's been brought to Halas Hall for a visit, is climbing up draft boards, so what is it that I don't like from him?  I just don't see that elite potential from Jones.  Coples has the amazing size, Perry has the explosiveness, Ingram has the versatility and motor, and Mercilus has the production to be a force at the DE position at the NFL level.  I don't see Jones as having any of these things.  Jones plays high, doesn't change direction well, and doesn't have a great first step.  He only has 10.5 sacks in 3 years at Syracuse in the weakest BCS conference.  To me, Jones is more athlete than football player, and I don't think he's good enough as an athlete to warrant the praise he's getting the last few weeks.

Coby Fleener, TE Stanford.  It would almost be a slap in the face to trade a TE for a 3rd round pick one year and then use the very next draft pick on a TE in the 1st round.  Especially, when that TE is Fleener, a guy that reminds me a lot of Greg Olsen.  Sure he's got good height and athletic ability.  But he won't be a blocker in the NFL, at all.  He'll try hard like Olsen did, but he'll be just getting in the way.  Fleener's a nice player, and if he was on the board in the 3rd like his ability suggests, I'd be thrilled with him.  But anywhere in the top 50, eh.

Zach Brown, OLB, North Carolina. Stop me if you heard this before.  If I were to draft a prototype 4-3 Tampa 2 WLB....  Brown can really fly.  He can really hit.  He can cover pretty well.  Yes, Zach Brown could be the perfect NFL OLB.  However, I think in order to be a great OLB, he's going to have to never face a lead blocker or see a misdirection play in his direction.  It would also help if you don't really have a scheme to fit him in and you let him do whatever he wants on the field.  Brown appears to be undisciplined and too freelancing for my liking.  He doesn't appear to have great instincts or be super intelligent either.  He's gotten by on pure athleticism for 3 years at UNC.  While, that will work to some extent in the NFL, I do worry about him in such a structured D such as the Bears run. 

I'll spare you the details of the rest but other highly rated players, who I don't feel are a fit for the Bears or worth the pick where they'll get drafted are: SS Mark Barron, DE Courtney Upshaw, SS Harrison Smith, WR Alshon Jeffery.

No comments:

Post a Comment