Search This Blog

Friday, June 29, 2012

Put a check mark on July 12th...

The Steelers arent one to really mortgage the future for the present, but theyve shown interest in a Supplemental Draft RB before, whos to say we dont again.  The Steelers were interested in Harvey Unga, a RB out of BYU during the 2010 SD.  The Bears drafted him in the 7th, thereby giving up their 7th round pick in 2011.  FWDD to today... Ed Wesley, RB from TCU announced that he will enter the SD due to family reasons.  Ed is one for the top 5 RBs I had my eye on for us in the 2013 draft.  He is a true all around back, with an extra gear to seperate, hands to catch out of the backfield, and a low shoulder to power thru or around the line.  At 5'9 200 lbs he is the average size of the RB in the recent NFL.  Hes not Bettis by far, but hes not Rainey either.  He could be a faster, more powerful RB to spell time with Redman, easily taking the place of Dwyer (Red's current "heavy" backup) and/or possibly Clay (another Alstott?).  His 4.4 speed would allow him to be an immediate change of pace for Red, but still allowing us to run the more power running formations Haley looks to install.  When I first heard the news I told my friends I would easily consider giving up a 5th round pick.  But with the likes of Ball, Toussaint, Lacy, Ellington and even Graham in the 2013 draft, I lowered that to the 6th round pick.  For those of you that prefer to look at the stats, over a 3 year career at TCU, Ed had 387 carries for 2442 yards.  Thats 6.3 yards per touch.  Not to mention 21 TDs.

Long story short, I wouldnt rate Wesley higher than Ball,... by far.  And I would also put Lacy ahead of him. Id even add the likes of Toussaint to the list before Ed.  I have a man cruch on Fitzgeral Toussaint, so persoanlly I rate him higher than Ellington, but both higher than Wesley.  And Graham's injury doesnt help Ray, and even without the knee tear I would still put Wesley higher than Ray.

1. Ball
2. Lacy
3a. Toussaint (man crush)
3b. Ellington
4. Wesley
5. Graham

Drafting a weapon in the 6th round worked out for us before, see Antonio Brown.  This time would just be a little different as we'd be making the pick almost a full year ahead of time.  Once again, I give a 6th for him.  No question.  However, if I could see into the future and find out that Ball, Lacy or Toussaint were on the board when we picked in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd rounds, I might just kick myself.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, Harvey Unga, spent 1st year on IR, 2nd year on the PUP (Psychologically Unable to Perform) for the Bears. But anyway, I too like Wesley. It would be a pretty decent gamble for your guys. Lose a 6th, but you know you're getting a 3, if/when Wallace signs elsewhere. And you guys could use the depth. 26 career carries on the current roster other than Redman. Redman himself only has 162 career carries, and has never been "the guy" in the NFL.

    Wesley also would give you a different look as you stated. Dwyer and Clay are almost redundant, and I don't imagine Clay makes the roster as a tailback. Baron Batch isn't really similar to Rainey, but they would have similar roles as 3rd down RBs. Wesley would give you guys a potential #4, who could get some carries as the breather to the starter if Redman or Dwyer miss a game or two. I also don't think a 6th round RB would necessarily stop you guys from taking a legit starter early next year, assuming Mendenhall is gone.

    ReplyDelete