Search This Blog

Monday, March 4, 2013

Steelers Post Combine Mock Draft

This mock was actually built about a week ago.  It fits in both everything the Steelers have done draft-wise since Tomlin's arrival.  I hate William Gay.  It gives us a defender in the 1st round, who is also a junior, a "OLB" in the 2nd round, a WR with speed and blood lines in the mid round, (I hate William Gay) a NT in the later round, QB in the later round, and finally a OL in the later round.  Each pick fits in with my draft template that I have build since Tomlins best draft in 2010.  (I hate William Gay) That said, with the 17th pick in the 2013 NFL draft the Pittsburgh Steelers select...


17 Elam, S(DB) Florida- Junior, defender, total position flex, speed, Florida, SEC.  Nuff said.

47 Moore, LB UConn- ok, so if you look at the DE/OLBs that fit our "type" they are heavily graded from 126 to 232 in Lemonier, Washington and Maponga (love all 3).  That would let us wait and focus on greater needs in the 2nd round.  Right?  However, something was brought to my attention the other day that concerned me.  Timmons redid his deal to help open cap space this year.  Thats nice.  However, his 2014 cap hit is now over $11 million.  NO WAY IN HELL WE CAN HANDLE THAT.  So, what to do, what to do.  I say we be Typical Tomlin and go "OLB" in the 2nd (OLB and OT are his favs) and this time draft one that can play either OLB or ILB.  Moore played both at UConn and rocked the EW game as well as the combine.  Essentially hes a smarter Timmons (educated guess) with more play time experience.  We can play him this year at OLB if needed- (Harrison, Worilds, Carter, Robinson are still in line) or maybe spell Foote at ILB on passing downs if needed- (Spence... Spence?  Hey, wake up dude.  You are alive right?  Hi Brian Rolle I hope you and Kion Wilson like Special Teams.  And the coaches seem to like the UDFA ILB McFadden).  He has total position flexibility with experience at both spots.  Cant pass it up.  

79 Franklin, RB UCLA- speed, power, pass catching, pass blocking, all in a zone blocking schemed offense.  Check them all off.  The Tweet or email (cant recall which) during the combine from Mora Jr really put this one over the top for me.

111 Fuller, WR Va Tech- Typical Tomlin, speed, mid rounder and bloodlines.  Add to that his first "tall" WR.  Yer welcome Ben.

143 Williams, TE Alabama- all the other "TEs" from the 4th, err 3rd, err 2nd round on are pretty much HBacks.  Most anyway.  I like Sims but he was brought up on felony charges.  Thats a bit too much for me.  I also like Kelce (more blood lines) but his recent injury wont let him fall 2 rounds.  However, my draft template puts the pick right on Williams.  Imagine 2 years from now we have Williams and Paulson.  Add to that Pianalto (loved him in the 2011 draft).  Paulson the passing threat, and Williams the extra lineman with a threat to catch and Zach playing TE, HBack and FB.

175 Geathers, DL Georgia- Typical Tomlin picking a NT late.  This one played in the SEC and also play the 5 tech.

207 Renfree, QB Duke- a good friend of mine says if I want him I gotta draft him.  This is a guy I listen to.  Plus, if we suck in 2013 then we can draft Tajh Boyd in the 1st round next year.  Yup.  Man crush.  Until then Haleys offense requires short passing with leading the WR thru the catch for additional YAC.  Thats Renfree's game.  His deep ball is SHARP too.

227 Bond, OL UNC- we struck gold with Beachum.  Ok, ok, a nice shiny silver   Could we do it again?  And we might lose both Foster (God I hope not) and Bruno (God I hope so).  So how about another flex OL that has started at OG and OT in a pure zone blocking scheme?  And what if we lose Bruno?  Dont worry, I got that solved...

UDFA- Ryan Turnley, OL Pitt- Typical Tomlin, another local kid that takes the exact spot left open by Bruno leaving, but takes it a step further as he can play any of the OL spots.  Or at least from the LG moving to the right.  Bigger and stronger too boot.

PS, I still hate William Gay.

No comments:

Post a Comment