Search This Blog

Monday, September 17, 2012

Bear Game 2 Analysis

I don't know that I'm going to do this every week, but like most Bears fans, last Thursday's game is really baffling me. 

The main concern I have after re-watching this game, is who the hell let Mike Martz back into the Bears box?   I'm not even going to get into J'Marcus Webb giving up 2 1/2 sacks to Clay Matthews.  Not even going to get into Chris Spencer and Garza giving up 3-4 more up the middle.  Why?  Because I knew well before Thursday's kickoff that J'Marcus Webb could not block Matthews 1-on-1.  I knew Chris Spencer would struggle picking up the blitz and handling guys like Raji and Daniels.  But what I cannot understand for the life of me is, if I know the Bears can't win these matchups....and everyone who will read this knows the Bears couldn't win those matchups....then why can't the coaching staff who's been around these guys for 2-3 years not figure this out? 

Cutler dropped back to pass 34 times, was sacked 7 of them.  Of those 34 dropbacks, I generously counted a whopping 7 three-step drops, as I counted anything in question as a 3-step.  Two of those 7 plays were 2nd and 20 and 3rd and 33 (after the Webb blown block that started the incident) respectively.  Two more were late in the game as Marshall's only 2 catches.  Now to be fair, I only counted 10 3-step drops in the opener vs. the Colts.  However, the caveat is that the Colts weren't getting in Cutler's face with the pass rush at will. 

I'm very disappointed that Mike Mar...er Tice refused to adjust his flawed game plan when; A) Cutler was getting knocked around every play or B) when Brandon Marshall went more than 2 series without a target or reception.  Common sense would say that if a team is teeing off on your QB, you get the ball out of his hands faster.  When you want to give routes more time to develop, you move the pocket.  The Bears refused to do either, and lost miserably. 

The playcalling is my main issue, but I also have a few other thoughts that came to mind while watching this game.

- For a team that is supposedly based in the Cover 2 zone defense....the Bears really suck at zone defense.  The times the D was able to make stops, plays on the pass or get sacks, it's because they were in man coverage and were able to lock down the Packers WRs.  The Packers only offensive TD was vs. the Cover 2 when Major Wright was well out of place. 

-  Every year we hear how Devin Hester is tearing it up in camp, yet he rarely shows up on Sundays.  Drops passes and doesn't get open nearly as much as his speed and shiftiness would lead you to believe.

- Michael Bush is 245lbs, but he's not a FB.  The Bears seem to be hellbent on using him as a battering ram between the tackles, but refuse to involve him in the passing game.  Someone needs to tell the Bears that Bush caught 37 passes last year, which is impressive considering he only started 9 games. 

- The Bears can still get it done on D.  Aging or not, Briggs, Urlacher, Tillman and Peppers are almost as good as they've ever been.  Tim Jennings needs to make the pro bowl this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment